If you are like me and have installed Office 2013 from Office 365 you will get this message when you try to install the Skype for Business Client Preview.
The message states (in Norwegian for me) that no version that matches this package is installed on the computer. Why is that you say? Well it is because you can not combine a Click-to-Run Office with an MSI packaged Office that the Skype for Business Client Preview is.
How to resolve this
- You need to install a MSI based Office package on your computer
- You can use this tool in order to completely remove the Office Click-to-Run
- If you don’t have access to the Office 2013 ISO file from a license site you can actually download and install the Office 2013 trial client
- The trial can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-office-professional-plus-2013
- This MSI is still an RTM image so you need to patch it with 2GB of SP1 and a lot of other patches
- Important: Do not customize the installation like removing features such as Access and Publisher because you will not be able to use you Office 365 credentials to validate the product.
- After installing the MSI based Office 2013 you can activate the product with your Office 365 credentials
- A couple of reboots are required to get this process right
- Now you are ready to install the Skype for Business Client Preview and use you MSI based Office
- Get the Client Preview here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-skype-for-business
- Take note that the biggest difference between MSI Office and Click-to-Run Office is that MSI Office is updated using Windows Update where the other version is updated through Office 365
Is using Office 365 credentials to activate an MSI based Office 2013 within the licensing rights? I guess so since you are able to activate, but I am not sure so please consult your favourite licensing advisor