Yep, it’s true, here is the scenario
- You are joined to a lot of teams with high activity and people are @mentioning the Teams and channels because internal emails are moved to Teams, which they should!
- Every day you get back to work, you have a huge amount of notifications to go through in your activity feed because people are @mentioning everything all the time to get attention
- You are starting to wonder if Teams is a fad and are longing back the thousands of unread internal email messages in Outlook instead
Here is the solution
- To avoid getting a notification when someone is @mentioning a channel
- Go and unfavorite it
- You still get a notification when someone @mentions your name
- You cannot unfavorite the General channel, this is why it should be only used for off-topic discussions, wins or general announcements
- Want to go the other way and get notified whenever someone is talking in a channel? Go and follow the channel
- To avoid getting a notification when someone is @mentioning a team
- There is no way to avoid getting a notification
- This is why you should refrain from mentioning a team unless it is at the utmost importance
- You can actually turn off that people can mention either a team or a channel as owner under Manage Team -> Settings
That’s it really. Now you know it is a huge difference in @mentioning a Team vs channel. #LifeHack
2 thoughts on “Did you know that you can control notifications from #MicrosoftTeams channel @mentions? ”
Hey, Got to know today this wonderful Microsoft Teams feature.
I was wondering, can you disable a specific person’s mentions from notifications? I use Teams and someone keeps spamming me in chat and mentioning. It’d really help.